Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Tired of Others Speaking for You?

I am a rebel. I admit it. I love writing, letters, words, calligraphy, drawing and getting right to the point (the leaded point that is). And if all doesn’t go perfect, I have a little pinkish, rubbery thingy on my head that’ll correct my mistakes. Indeed, I’m different.

Hello ladies and gentlemen, I’m an ordinary, number #2, yellow pencil. Everyone likes to put me to the test! I’m currently running for the office of President of the United States of America. I was actually made in the U.S. A. I’m not too hard or too soft. My opponents have labeled me as HB and as H6, but as you can plainly see, I’m a number two #2 through and through. Some of my opponents have called me a Zealot! Imagine that. Not a Ticonderoga, Franklin or a China knock-off; but a Zealot. I guess it goes to show that the so-called experts don’t recognize a standard. An All-American mainstay!

Being called a Zealot reminds some people of that guy in the Bible. You know the one; he was one of the twelve apostles. Simon the Zealot. A Zealot in the purest sense was a nationalistic sect, the direct opposite of the Publicans. Speaking of Publicans, another of the twelve apostles was Matthew the Publican. Imagine that, Jesus choosing a Zealot and a Publican, from bitterly rival factions! Jesus didn’t condone the sins of the Zealot or the Publicans. But, Jesus did reserve some of his most bitter words for the hypocrisy of the Publicans. Any reasonable person would be asking why. Why choose people from two rival factions to be apostles? Why indeed!

Did Jesus make a mistake? Hardly! If you have studied the life of Jesus at any length you realize that Jesus didn’t make mistakes, errors in judgment, or boo boos. Not one! Every move was calculated, every decision was historic, and every gesture had both obvious and subtle implications. Nothing done in those short, thirty-three (33) years was wasted or squandered. In short, Jesus maximized his time.

Isn’t that what we ask of our politicians? Not to be perfect, but to act responsibly in their official capacity? An elected official is a representative of the people they are governing. A Zealot, a Publican, or a Pharisee, a Democrat, a Republican, or Independent; it’s not a tag hanging around your neck that’s important. What’s important is not the authority given, but the administration of it. Remember what Christ said: “…All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.” Matthew 28:18 It’s where you get your authority that counts. Elected officials should insist that every day their lives be lived for all to see. Jesus lived his life publicly—shouldn’t that be the example?

No comments: